Are you a deaf actor or theatre maker, who lives in Scotland?
Do you want to develop your skills?
Do you have an idea for a new show or project?
Maybe you want to change something in your own career?
Or to change the world around you?
Then apply now, for a Solar Bear Artist Bursary!
Deadline: FRIDAY 9 JULY 2021.
What is it?
It’s a bursary scheme, for deaf theatre artists living in Scotland.
The funding is flexible – it depends on your project. We can offer small bursaries, of £1,000 – £2,000; or larger grants of £5,000 – £10,000.
The funding is for:
- your time
- to pay other actors, creatives, stage managers
- other costs – for example, room hire, travel costs, equipment
We will help you deliver your project, and to develop as an artist. We will offer advice, mentoring and support with budgets.
At the end, we’ll ask you to write a short report or make a video – giving your feedback, and explaining how you’ve used the money.
Why are we doing this?
Deaf artists are leading the way – we want to see more of this! You will help to shape our future plans, and to bring about change in the Scottish arts sector and beyond.
What’s the money for?
For example, you might want to…
- Create a new play
- Work with some actors in a rehearsal room, to test out an idea
- Research a project – e.g interviewing people; running workshops
- Develop your theatre skills – for example, in choreography; visual vernacular; translation.
- Set up and run a community theatre project
- Collaborate with someone from another art-form or profession, e.g video game designer; musician; scientist
- Attend a festival – to see shows, take part in workshops, meet new people
- Start a campaign to change something
How do I apply?
You can apply in BSL or in English.
In BSL, send us a short video (no more than 5 minutes).
In English, write a short proposal (no more than 2 pages).
You can apply as an individual, or with other people.
Tell us 1) a bit about you – for example, about your previous experience. And 2) what you want to do. Why do you want to do this? What difference will it make?
Email firstname.lastname@example.org by midday on FRIDAY 9 JULY 2021.
Interviews will be during w/c 26 July or w/c 2 August.
If you’d like to ask a question, or discuss your idea before applying – please get in touch!